26 October 2011

Niall Toner and a record-holding Blue Grass Boy

Thanks to Niall Toner (above left, with patriotic bow tie), who writes:

While I was taking part in the Historic Jonesborough Bluegrass Concert on Saturday night last in the visitors' centre in Jonesborough, TN, I came across a banjo player in the audience who had fond recollections of his 1981-91 sojourn as a member of Bill Monroe's Blue Grass Boys, and who kindly stepped in for the attached photo. I have been working on a Bill Monroe documentary here in the US, and I'm only sorry that my [RTÉ] recording team had gone home to Ireland before I met Blake Williams, who has a pile of Monroe stories...

Blake Williams played for longer with Bill Monroe than any other banjo player - and that's only one part of his long professional career. He now plays in the Expedition Show.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home