17 October 2011

In one word - WOW

... says Uri Kohen, reporting from Westport, Co. Mayo:

I'm quite aware that I often get over-excited about good music, but last Saturday (15.10.2011), I have seen one of the best gigs in a long time. When David McLynn from No Ego Promotions asked me to book gigs for some of his acts, the sound of James O'Connor & Audrey Trainor was standing head and shoulders above the rest.

James O'Connor, singer/songwriter from Laois, is a super-talented guy with a unique approach to music in general and the music industry in particular. When he met Audrey Trainor he must have felt like he won the Lotto. Audrey is a classically trained fiddle player; her amazing control of the instrument adds a dimension to folk music which is not something we are used to. From the sound check I knew it was going to be a great gig, and when Audrey called her fiddle a 'violin', I was convinced it was going to be a very special night.

The two didn't disappoint the crowd in Geraghty's pub, switching between covers to superbly written original songs. James presented the songs in a fantastic way, backed by the very special touch of Audrey. I wish we had more of these acts around; go to see them, you wont be disappointed.

Next Saturday in Geraghty's: A Band Called Wanda (one of my favourite acts on the island).

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home