15 July 2009

'Jimmie Rodgers' dream': the full story

Photo from the official Jimmie Rodgers website

Thanks to Niall Toner, author of the fine song 'Jimmie Rodgers' dream', for more info on how it came to be written and credited:

... I first composed the entire melody in early 2007, and recorded it under the present title as an instrumental on guitar, with Niall Jnr on second guitar and Simon Farrell on string bass. The intention at that stage was to include it on our next NTB CD as a tune only, as it seemed to have a very distinctive Jimmie Rodgers 'sound'. In April 2007 I began working on a set of lyrics that might fit this melody, and once again I recorded a demo version, including a very 'dodgy' yodel.

Enter Peter Rowan. Peter Rowan and Rex Foster came to Ireland on a short tour, and after their gig at the Cobblestone they came to stay with us in Coolasnaughta for a few days. Pete and I wrote a number of songs during his stay, and at some point I sang 'Jimmie Rodgers' dream' for him. He loved the song, and thought it could use a bridge section to connect the second verse with the final chorus. Pete then recorded his version, with the bridge, but after he and Rex had left to return to the US, I decided to remove the bridge he had written. It's a modern device which is most common in commercial country music, but I felt that it was taking away from the 'old-time' feel of this song. I spoke to Peter Rowan about this, and he is now in agreement with me, though his name still appears on the credits.

Anyway, I struggled away with my own version for a while, and I would have to say it was sounding fairly OK; but when I gave it to Clem and he sang it back to me, I knew immediately it had found its home! It went from being just OK to being just superb. Anyone who heard Clem singing 'Jimmie Rodgers' dream' at Athy, or anywhere else, will know exactly what I mean...

On the songwriting front, I recently wrote a bunch of new songs in Coolasnaughta with Keith Sewell. Three of these - 'Fiddle and bow', 'Way of a wanderer', and 'Lock and key' - will be included in Keith's new CD due for release on Rubber Dog Records in September. Keith has also cut a new version of 'Josie's reel' which will also be on the album.

The NTB will be performing at the Tullamore Phoenix Festival this weekend, and on Sunday 3.00-5.00 p.m. in St Stephen's Green, Dublin.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home