11 November 2012

Athy Bluegrass Festival: the end of an era

Left: Tony O'Brien, organiser since 1997 of the Athy Bluegrass Festival in Athy, Co. Kildare, Ireland's oldest annual bluegrass event (photo: from an original by Carl Mark O'Neill). 
Tony sends this statement:

After a lot of consideration since the 22nd Athy Festival in July, I have decided to discontinue the festival. It's been a big part of my life for over two decades, and I have been the organiser for fifteen very enjoyable years. I have made a lot of great friends and will miss the buzz of seeing the festival come together each year.

I wish to thank very sincerely all the loyal fans who supported the festival over its twenty-two years, and I hope we will meet somewhere on the bluegrass trail during 2013. I have a lot of fond memories of great bands and sessions, and Athy was always for the love of bluegrass music and its fans.

Thanks to everyone for the memories,

Tony O'Brien

Though the BIB publishes this news with great regret, there is not the slightest doubt that if anyone has deserved the gratitude of the bluegrass community in Ireland and earned the right to take a rest, it is Tony.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:38 am, Blogger Twanger said...

The Athy festival was my first introduction to the Irish BG scene, over 10 yaers ago now, and memories of the warm and friendly welcome I encountered there endure.. Fair play to you Tony!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home